- The History of Ev-K2-CNR
- The Ev-K2-CNR Committee Today
- The Partners
- Our Objectives
- The Pyramid
- Jobs & Careers
The Ev-K2-CNR Committee is an autonomous, non-profit association, which promotes scientific and technological research in mountain areas. Particular emphasis is placed on the Hindu Kush – Karakorum – Himalaya region and on work in the countries of Nepal, Pakistan, China (Tibetan Autonomous Region) and India. Ev-K2-CNR is best represented by its Pyramid Laboratory/Observatory located at 5,050 meters a.s.l. in Nepal at the base of Mount Everest. Ev-K2-CNR research has traditionally focused on the fields of Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Medicine and Physiology, Anthropology, and development of new technologies. Today, Ev-K2-CNR’s work is mainly organized via broad-scale integrated multi-disciplinary programs aimed at helping resolve urgent environmental and development issues.
Ev-K2-CNR works through a network of national and international scientific collaborations, in particular with the Italian National Research Council (CNR). Ev-K2-CNR research programs are developed in line with the priorities and indications of governmental and intergovernmental agencies, including those of the UN. Several projects are carried out in cooperation with organisms like UNEP and WMO, as well as with international scientific institutions and NGOs. In Italy, Ev-K2-CNR benefits from the support of CNR, as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education, Universities and Research, the Ministry of Economy and Finance, the Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea and the Ministry for Agriculture and Forestry.
Become recognized for contributions made to the resolution of complex global problems concerning the environment, health and socio-economic development.
Back to top
The Ev-K2-CNR specialization lies in our capacity to work systemically using knowledge generated within a multidisciplinary framework while promoting the dissemination of science. Ev-K2-CNR combines lessons learned through science with innovation to promote sustainable strategies for safeguarding the environment and improving the quality of life with a special focus on one of the world's most vulnerable and most valuable resources: mountains.
The Ev-K2-CNR Committee applies skills, tools, knowledge and methodology to sustainable development within a system of excellence that benefits from strong ties to mountain landscapes and populations, scientific competence and a thorough understanding of local needs.
Provide specialized scientific support for sustainable development in high altitude areas, promoting environmental conservation and a better quality of life for local populations.
- Further scientific knowledge
- Transfer scientific results so they can be applied to sustainable management of mountain regions
- Build capacity of local scientists and research institutions
- Promote development cooperation that respects local cultures and traditions
- Valorize and preserve mountain environments
- Apply a systemic (social, economic and environmental) approach
- Support decision makers
- Provide qualified expertise
- Transfer technology to bridge the digital divide
- Identify and apply best practices in the application of science to development
Ev-K2-CNR IN FIGURES:
- over 2 million Euros invested in scientific research
- 765 scientific publications
- 148 partner or collaborating institutions, universities, organizations, nationally and internationally
- over 500 scientific missions to the Pyramid Laboratory/Observatory
- over 200 researchers who have carried out scientific research at the Pyramid
- over 80 people, including scientists, technicians and collaborators, involved daily in Ev-K2-CNR-related work